Arkansas Transition Consultants group photo


Frequently Asked Questions

1) On the Transition Goals and Services page of the Arkansas IEP it states that a Transition Plan must be in place by the age of 16, but that it CAN be in place at an earlier age if determined appropriate by the IEP team. What are some instances when it would be appropriate to have in place at an earlier age?

Answer: Although it is mandated by Federal and State regulations that Transition goals and services be in place by the time the child turns 16, it is sometimes appropriate to have these goals and services in place at an earlier age. One example is if a student is a risk of dropping out of school before the age of 16. The IEP team might consider creating a set of goals and services that would provide this student with the supports and motivation he/she needs to stay in school. Another example is if a student is severely disabled the IEP team might think it is appropriate to have a set of goals and services in place that will ensure the student is getting everything he/she needs from all service providers to allow him/her the most positive post school outcomes.

 Hard-return 1 separator

2) What is the purpose of the Summary of Performance?

Answer: A Summary of Performance is a tool that is required to be completed and given to the student before he/she exits high school. It summarizes background information, post-secondary goals of the student, present level of performance in applicable areas, recommendations for accommodations in the post-secondary setting based on what was beneficial in high school and the student’s perspective on his/her disability, accommodations, etc. It is much easier for post-secondary service providers and employers to understand than an IEP and if the student has helped complete the Summary of Performance he/she will have greater knowledge and confidence when presenting the information.

 Second hard-return separator

3) I work for a small school rural school district. Is there a Transition Consultant that serves my school district?

Answer: Yes, every school district in Arkansas has a Transition Consultant that will provide you with information and trainings related to Transition. To find out who your consultant is, go to the Consultant contact information page on our website.

 Hard-return 3 separator

4) I am a special education teacher and am interested in receiving training from my Transition Consultant. How do I make arrangements for this? 

Answer: You will need to first speak with your special education supervisor and discuss making contact with your transition consultant to schedule consultations or training dates.

 Fourth hard-return separator

5) I have heard of some type of monetary award available through Arkansas Transition Services. Does it exist and if so, what is it?

Answer:  The award is through the CEC subdivision (Arkansas Chapter), Division on Career Development and Transition (DCDT). Every year $500 check is awarded to teachers with innovative transition programs. An application must be completed and submitted by the deadline, which typically falls in May. Contact your Transition Consultant for more details.

 Hard-return 5 separator

6) I am a special education teacher and would like to learn more about Transition. Someone told me I should attend the Arkansas Transition Summit, but I have to bring a team. What are examples of team members and if I can’t get a team together can I come by myself?

Answer: The Arkansas Transition Summit takes place every other year. Teams are required to attend. Team members can include (but are not limited to) special education teachers, general education teachers, principals, parents, students, employers in the community, agency personnel counselors, advocates and anyone who is a stakeholder in the lives of students with disabilities. A team is required because much of the Summit is built around team planning sessions. During these team planning sessions, teams assess the needs of their own communities and build plans based on those needs. If you have difficulty getting a team together, contact your Transition Consultant and they’ll be happy to help!

 Sixth hard-return separator

7) I keep hearing people talk about Indicator 13 and the Indicator 13 checklist. What are these things?

Answer: The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) was reauthorized on December 3, 2004 and its provisions became effective on July 1, 2005. In conjunction with the reauthorization, the U. S. Department of Education through the Office of Special Education Programs required states to develop six-year State Performance Plans in December, 2005 around 20 indicators, on which data will be submitted annually (beginning February 2007) in Annual Performance Reports. There are four indicators that are related to Transition: Indicators 1, 2, 13 and 14. Indicator 13 states: Percent of youth aged 16 and above with an individualized education program (IEP) that includes coordinated, measurable, annual IEP goals and transition services that will reasonably enable the student to meet the post-secondary goals.
The National Secondary Transition Technical Assistance Center developed a checklist in order to help states collect data on indicator 13. The two forms (A & B) allow a school, district, or state to review the data for each item simultaneously across all postsecondary goal areas. The Arkansas Transition Goals and Services part of the IEP were developed in direct correlation with these checklists. The checklists can be provided by your consultant.

 Hard-return 7 separator

8) I am a high school special education teacher. What is the best transition assessment for me to use with my students?

Answer: Transition assessments are very important when it comes to developing Transition Goals and Services for students with disabilities. However, there is not one assessment that will be the answer to getting all the information you need about your students. Transition assessment should occur regularly over a period of time and not just before an annual review. There are many types of assessments that can be done including career exploration, self-determination, independent living skills, learning styles and employability skills to name a few. Contact your Transition Consultant today for assistance in selecting assessments for your students.

 Eigth hard-return separator

9) Is there a specific course code for a TRANSITION CLASS? 

Answer: Yes, for courses that are specifically designated as transition classes for students with disabilities, the course code 97-1560 has been designated as the course code. Please see Commissioner’s Memo LS-14-028 for more information.

 Hard-return 9 separator

10) What is indicator 14?

Indicator 14 requires states to report the "percent of youth who are no longer in secondary school, had IEPs in effect at the time they left school, and were:  A) Enrolled in higher education within one year of leaving high school.  B) Enrolled in higher education or competitively employed within one year of leaving high school.  C) Enrolled in higher education or in some other postsecondary education or training program; or competitively employed or in some other employment within one year of leaving high school." (20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3)(B))
In Arkansas the data is collected each year through a post school outcomes survey (opens PDF) provided to students at different districts who graduated the previous year and through data mining within a group of agencies which may be serving students one year after they have graduated high school. The Indicator 14 flyer (opens PDF) explains why it is important to answer the survey if you are contacted!